Thursday, October 10, 2013

San Francisco Song By The Mowgli's

    Recently I heard a song on the radio that mentioned San Francisco. It was hard to find at first online. I understood it as 'Left my heart in San Francisco' but this proved to be a Tony Bennett song. So I had to add another hook in my search, and just have the city name and found it. 'In love with love' was it. It proved to be 'Lost my head in San Francisco' and the song is called 'San Francisco' by the Mowgli's. It is an upbeat song, that is what I like about it. I liked finding it on Youtube, much like many other songs I want to hear again after first hearing them on the radio.
   I did watch two 'Big Bang Theory' episodes tonight. The syndicated rerun was Sheldon dealing with a blue jay that flew into the apartment, and his fear of birds. At first I thought of Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Raven', or even 'The Simpsons' parody, where Bart said 'Quoth the raven nevermore' since the bird flew inside the home. The prime time episode dealt with Sheldon wanting to get even with Amy after she dissed 'Indiana Jones', so he countered with finding plot holes in 'Little House On The Prairie', her favorite show. Leonard dealt with Penny taking a psychology class where the required reading was his mom's book, which had embarrassing things about his childhood in it.
   After this I turned to reading back issues of Friday papers. I am way behind so tonight it was the month of May. There was articles about the labor dispute with the Minnesota Orchestra, where even then the conductor said he would quit if no deal was in place by end of September at the latest as a big gig at Carnegie Hall was coming up. There was even an ad that said St. Paul's Chamber Orchestra musicians were willing to take a pay cut. The funny columnist had some good articles, like about the history of candy making companies in the state- besides Pearson, who had just bought Bit-o-Honey. Another was about paper and plastic grocery bags, and I really liked the part about the 'Bag of bags', as it was relatable. These bags often aren't used when I get home, and just take up space in the closet. Found the premier issue of the St. Paul Globe paper, same name as one that was once owned by railroad baron James J. Hill but ceased to exist in 1905. There was an article about Hill, along with how he was a business partner with financier J.P. Morgan. A writing colleague had an article in it about the local boxing scene, I know this is his area of expertise.
   At midday I liked speaking at length with a senior leader I know at my office, he didn't have a sports jersey on though it was 'Jersey day' at work, a continuation of the anniversary celebration all this week. And I expected him to as I know he likes the St. Louis sports teams, being a native of that city. I liked how he is willing to give me advice that makes more sense than others do in this office.   

No comments:

Post a Comment