Friday, August 24, 2018

birth of a nation movie

i watched another movie on loan from the library this afternoon, 'birth of a nation', the one from 1915. although I am familiar with another movie, with the same name, being released in recent years. I had heard about this movie for a while, so I was thankful I found a DVD copy of it. there was two discs. it was a 3-hour movie, actually in 2 parts, on disc one. the other disc had special features, and it took nearly as long to go through them as the movie itself. there was mention of the lawsuits filed by the NAACP to try to prevent it from being shown in NYC, although this was from 1922, 7 years after the original release. Lillian gish is in it, a name I recognize as the band smashing pumpkins named an album 'gish' after her. the special features included movie shorts apparently directed by DW Griffith  before this movie was filmed.
   I considered going to the state fair today, but the weather report didn't look good so I said I could wait until next week. I sang karaoke in the evening, 'long haired country boy' by the charlie daniels band. spoke with a law student at my table, he is attending Mitchell hamline and got the undergrad at Indiana in Bloomington.

No comments:

Post a Comment