Sunday, August 12, 2018

varsity blues movie

i watched a DVD copy of the movie 'varsity blues' this morning after having breakfast. there was much that I enjoyed about the movie, as many scenes in it were familiar with being part of a high school football team in small town iowa. of course this story takes place in texas. it also reminds me of when I was riding the Amtrak train back from st. louis to Chicago on one of my annual visits for cardinals baseball games. I met a young man and he spoke of this movie, as it was at theaters at the time, in 1999. he got off at the Bloomington/normal stop, and a military recruiter met him there. he also spoke of the song about 'everybody is free to wear sunscreen'. I always liked the art from this movie. it shows a young man in a cowboy hat sitting on the hood of a pickup truck and some others in the truck box. I recall how it was no big deal to ride in the box of truck when growing up in iowa. jon Voight had a convincing performance as the coach. the soundtrack had plenty of bands that I recognized, such as green day doing 'nice guys finish last'. the offspring had a song in this movie as well. I recognized the actor playing the injured QB as being in another 'teeny bopper' movie from this time- as my dad would call it- 'she's all that'.
     I didn't do much today, even though I considered going to a county fair in a nearby town, much like last year. but I decided I just wanted to rest and do other things. I shredded some more junk mail, went to Walgreen and picked up a few items, and did some 'maintenance' on my social media accounts. I cut four people from my friend list on facebook, so now I have just under 250. one of those cut was a high school classmate. I say I am stressing quality and want relevance. the number of people from my hometown that I am connected with has dwindled to just ten. I have realized that most of them were no longer relevant in my life. I have to ask 'when was the last time I heard from them, in person at reunions, or even on that site?' and it has been way too long. I also made some cuts on the groups I am a part of on that site. I made some cuts on twitter, but I am not on that site all too often either. I am known for one posting a week, usually on sunday night. sometimes this is still more frequent than my facebook postings. I say facebook has become my de facto 'admin assistant' since many event invites are sent there. stressing quality meant wanting to eliminate anything 'redundant'. going from following two pages on a certain subject to one. some of them hadn't posted anything in a while, or had a lower number of members or followers. I just quietly do these things, as I feel no need to say to somebody why they were cut as I prefer to avoid drama whenever I can. all it takes is for one posting that annoys me where I decide it is time to make some cuts. I know I am happier now, since I was seeing too much negative energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment