Monday, August 20, 2018

mr. baseball movie

i watched the first of two DVD movies that I got from the library over the weekend, this afternoon. it was 'mr. baseball', starring tom Selleck, about an American baseball player going over to japan. not entirely sure why I had passed on this one for so long, when I love baseball, but thankful I finally saw it. I know this happens often, American players going to japan. I recognized one of the actors in it, dennis haysbert. he was in another baseball movie, 'major league', as Cuban defector pedro cerrano. it was funny to see how the interpreter would cover for Selleck's character, not wanting him to look disrespectful to the Japanese. I had heard about frank Thomas having a role in it, this was early in the movie as the rookie, but I don't think he had any lines at all. I also recognized some other names in the credits, such as doug decinces, who was listed as a consultant. he had played for the California (or Anaheim) Angels. no surprise how  Selleck, as a Michigan native, had his favorite team in it, the Detroit tigers. and I liked how the special features had a babe ruth movie short included.
   I sent an email to my job coach about last week's interviews, giving 'pros and cons' as well. also how I applied for 3 of the 4 positions I was given leads for. the 4th was not available when I tried to apply for it. sounds like he still wants to celebrate 'moral victories' of getting interviews, I do not agree with that mindset as we all know.
   I performed in the evening, and at the first club I did not get stage time but it was nice to get a movie poster. more likely to see it now, even if just as a redbox rental. it helped to be around some of my comic friends as the stories I was telling sometimes made them laugh. so I knew it belonged in my sets. even if the stories where from a while ago, many years ago. I also liked hearing happy meal talk about the craft of comedy. I listened closely as I don't hear this too often. I learn more when I listen more. also nice to see Worthington, who said he has to fly out of state for a weekly gig. some of the computerized parking meters said 'please wait' so I didn't want to park until I found one where it looked like it was operational. I get paranoid about these things, not wanting to get a ticket. once I went to perform, I got annoyed with a comic who couldn't get their facts straight on a history joke, so I left the showroom for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment