Tuesday, August 7, 2018

cream, prince and NPG

I did some karaoke tonight, but also notable was somebody doing 'cream', by prince and NPG. since the karaoke jockey said it was 'not for the lactose intolerant'. and at one point he went to get out a small carton of cream, not sure where he found it in the bar. the video starts off in a train station, and the first two minutes weren't music. it was exploring things like prince dealing with the media, being compared to Mozart. and we see some ladies wanting cream when ordering food. then the express train for Minneapolis leaves and the song actually starts. biggest takeaway from the lyrics was 'you got the horn so why don't you blow it' and 'you're filthy cute'. to me, this says a lot about the theme that prince was going for. and it is a theme seen in some of his other songs as well.
   oh yes, the songs I did. there was three. 'little less conversation' by elvis Presley, 'like a rolling stone' by bob Dylan, and 'that's all' by genesis. I know a missed a few words in the middle one as it went kind of fast and I wasn't paying attention, but the most important thing is to keep going. another singer asked that I do 'someday someway' my marshall Crenshaw as she liked hearing it before, I said I would consider it. but it is often a while before I come back to a song I've already done. I had seen her there before, she goes by kiki. and this is the only venue I see her at, even though I like to do karaoke at various venues. when I arrived I saw somebody I knew there, who produced a burlesque show I liked attending at another venue, so we spoke for a little while as they were packing up their gear. this performer spoke of doing johnny cash and elvis Presley when doing karaoke, I know this was why I started off with an elvis song. and there was some mention of elvis doing a horrible version of 'unchained melody', I was not familiar with it at all. also mention of wanting to see a friend's show at fringe, at minnsky in northeast Minneapolis. I said I had just been there for a show, but not the same one. oh, and I think I know what song it was that I couldn't think of before when recently doing karaoke at this venue. the one I liked hearing at burlesque shows. it likely was 'gold lion' by the yeah yeah yeahs/ for some reason I finally thought of it in the past week. I think what finally jarred the memory was finding a youtube video that had a similar scene in it of a drum kit.
   some of the day was spent thinking it through on the logistics for the second weekend of the fringe festival. I decided on doing two more volunteer shifts. I have one voucher left and wanted to see three more shows. I decided to scrap one of the four still under consideration as I knew it would free up plenty of time for me on Saturday. in addition, it was a one-man show and it was somebody I didn't know, so it was too risky in terms of if I would enjoy it. guess I am reminded of a show I saw last year that was disappointing, and said it was the worst one I had ever seen at fringe. I had considered it as I had ushered this show on Saturday. so I will be doing two volunteer shifts, as an usher and then a sidekick, Friday evening before I see a show. and then I will see two more shows Saturday evening. another priority was performing on Friday, so I didn't want to be out too late at fringe that night.
   on the job front, I had a phone interview this afternoon. but I am fine with them not inviting me for an in-person interview as I heard some things that didn't appeal to me. four days a week, Friday to Monday, and staying 'until the work is done' as well as working holidays. the phone interviewer recognized me from before, it led me to ask some questions such as the part about working holidays as I did an in-person interview with the same company in May. I found it hard to understand that he claims he didn't have my resume, I had to ask why I was being asked about my work history as the resume should have covered some of his questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment