Saturday, September 8, 2018

scarface movie

yep, another al pacino movie watched this week, also on loan from the library. this time it was 'scarface'. I had heard about this one for a while, and at first was confused by the title as this is the nickname for gangster al Capone. but it has nothing to do with Capone, although in the special features they say some of the inspiration came from a black and white gangster movie of the same name. I kept wondering when I would see the most famous scene, where tony montana says 'say hello to my little friend' before he shoots a powerful weapon, but this was not until the climax. this movie had a lot of swearing and violence in it, but nothing that I hadn't seen before. it started off with mention of the Cuban refugees sent to a detention camp in Miami in 1980. I was familiar with this as there was mention of it on an episode of 'the jeffersons'. I recognized some other cast members, such as Robert loggia, michelle Pfeiffer, and mary Elizabeth mastrantonio. since it is a fictionalized account of gangster activity, it reminds me of a later gangster movie. 'new jack city', starring Wesley snipes. since I am a performer it meant something to me to see a comedian on stage at the dance club, then a clown that gets shot. also notable was a chainsaw scene, although the sound of a chainsaw doesn't scare me as my dad had them when I was young. probably still has some.
    I also sang some karaoke in the evening, 'rock and roll' by led zeppelin. also saw the lady that will bring Kermit the frog to another venue, but there was no Kermit here. when I arrived I saw many people in military uniforms, guess they wanted to sing as well. one of them did 'loving feeling', much like in the movie 'top gun'. there was a business card at the front desk, said it was from the army. after returning two movies to the library in the afternoon I went to the grocery store. then it was home, as expected some of the local news outlets did not have 6pm news due to college football games. I tried switching to another one, but when I ended up on fox I noticed they were showing the iowa game against iowa state. so I kept it there. the game was tied 3-3 in the third quarter, and iowa went on to win 13-3. still not sure about attending an iowa football game this season.



No comments:

Post a Comment