Thursday, September 27, 2018

uh-huh, jade bird

this week I heard a catchy song on my car radio when driving home after performing. it took some searching, but I found out it was 'uh huh', by jade bird. she is a british musician. memorable was the line 'she's got you on your knees'. I also liked 'none of my business, don't want to get involved, she's doing what you did to me'. she has been described as country style music, but being british that doesn't quite fit. when she claims alanis morissette as an influence, saying it's alternative music fits better. I found articles online from harper's bazaar, and rolling stone. the former calls it a 'gritty, electric track shows a rougher, louder side' and 'the accompanying visuals are just as vibrant as her sound'. the video shows projections of herself in the background, apparently 100 jades in a 3-sided box, according to the article. I liked the effect. the 'rough and loud' part is what hooked me. there was also youtube videos of two other songs, 'something american' and 'lottery'. the former is much quieter than 'uh-huh', but it still works for me. 'lottery' doesn't do as much for me as the other two. she is just 20, and I even found a cover of 'walk like an egyptian' (the bangles song) on youtube. the rolling stone article mentioned things like what she was wearing, and I respond more to hearing about the art itself. writing got her through tough times growing up, and I understand that one, being a performer myself. mention of her mom liking avril Lavigne, another musician I like, also meant something to me. so when I like what I hear, hopefully I will find more songs by her that I will enjoy. I don't buy many CDs now, since plenty of music can be found on youtube, so it is hard to say if it will lead to buying a CD. I respond well to passion in music, and it is proof that there is still plenty of good music to be found out there.
    I did more of the sorting of newspapers, making 2 more trips to the recycle bin. odds are that I won't have the backlog eliminated by Monday, but not a big deal. do as much as I can. in addition, I know there are other things to do that are just as important. I did some paper shredding this morning, plenty of junk mail. I also added more stamps to my collection, getting them applied to a page. I often find some good ones when ordering from e-bay and amazon. in the evening I went to perform at a micro-brewery in st. paul. I had been there once before, and it had been a while. I got plenty of photos as it is a historic building, had been re-purposed. there were a few comics from out of town on the lineup, from Mankato, and st. cloud. one has to be really devoted to performing if traveling from that far away, at least an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment