Saturday, September 1, 2018

hero, family of the year

it's not too often where I have to pause while listening to a song. but I did this tonight when I was at the st. paul saints baseball game. it was my 6th and last of the season that I will be attending. I heard some recorded music being played before the game started and heard 'hero' by family of the year. I know I had heard it before, in a movie. why this song led to a brain freeze, when I am usually stoic, I don't know. other than it has sentiments I agree with. 'let me go, I don't want to be your hero'. somebody has probably tried to make me one. but I have said 'nobody should envy me, I am just a shy kid that lucked out big time'. I watched the video on youtube, it depicts a bull rider at a rodeo.
   the saints lost to Winnipeg 5-2. the saints never led in this one. I went because there was a poster giveaway honoring st. paul native jack morris being inducted into the baseball hall of fame. I was next to an older man that spoke of how humid it is in Arkansas. he was all right, but a younger man next to him, possibly his son, was not. I was asked about my line of work and said I was unemployed. then the younger man said 'i chose not to work' and I fired back with 'you want to do call center work?' I considered leaving my seat but I like being able to sit down while watching a baseball game. I left my seat with 2 outs in the 9th, as I wanted a better photo of the scoreboard, a way I document where I have been. I was on the first base side and the angle is less than ideal.
   after the game I went home for a short time then ventured out to do some karaoke. except my normal venue didn't have it tonight, so I did a quick walk around the bar and left. then I went to a venue I hadn't seen in two months. I sang 'rambling  man' by the allman brothers. I saw a man that recognized me, he wears a cowboy hat. I spoke of how I hadn't been there for a while, but I got annoyed quick as he wanted to correct what I was saying and it didn't need to be corrected.
   this morning I was up earlier than typical as I wanted to see the funeral for sen. john McCain on TV. I hadn't seen an event like this probably since the funeral for sen. ted kennedy. as a history major, I figured it was a good idea to see it. some like to watch royal weddings, but I am not british. it reminded me how I haven't been to Washington, DC, in a while, and not sure if I have been to the national cathedral, where it was held. the senator was 'in state' at the capitol, and not too many have had this honor. I kept hearing how henry clay was the first, and the list is even shorter when looking just at the non-presidents honored this way. I wiped away some tears when I saw the eulogy from his daughter, meghan, as she was emotional throughout it.

No comments:

Post a Comment