Sunday, September 16, 2018

winning team movie, reagan

I watched a DVD I recently bought from amazon this morning. 'winning team', starring Ronald Reagan, about baseball player grover Cleveland alexander. I was sent 2 copies, and I plan on donating the other copy to a second-hand store. I think I had seen it before, on loan from the library. it had the same kind of feel as other baseball bio-pics of the era, such as the ones about babe ruth and lou Gehrig. I was first interested in seeing it after it was mentioned in an iowa cubs baseball program. as I recall it was an article about baseball movies, written by the owner of the team, who is a prize winning writer. he said 'should have been vetoed' about this one. this would be in reference to how the player was named after one president and played by another. I checked Wikipedia and he died in 1950, and this movie was released two years later. there wasn't much to the movie after the depiction of his strikeout of tony lazzeri in the 1926 world series. this is something I had read out in elementary school, as I read many of the sports books in that library. also according to Wikipedia, he played until 1930 in the major leagues.
    I was invited to play in a soccer game for comics this afternoon by yemen native. I ended up playing on his team, at first as the goalie. I took a ball in the face and it knocked off my glasses but I kept playing. I said I would likely have to go to the eye clinic to see about getting them adjusted though. I like being invited to events, and I got a few photos as I like to document the comedy scene in the twin cities. one player had a skinned knee and needed help with the wound, and I saw how electrical tape was used on it.
   I didn't do much in the evening, first thing after having a meal was going to get a redbox rental. I will watch it in the morning. I fell asleep in my easy chair, and then I knew I needed to get the dishes and recycling done. I also did some shredding of junk mail, and items that will not be included in sheet protectors in a binder. I still don't do shredding much, about once a week. it is always nice to get the pile knocked down.

No comments:

Post a Comment