Sunday, March 17, 2019

pride movie, tom arnold

I watched a DVD movie on loan from the library this evening. it had been on my list for a while, it is called 'pride'. it was released in 2007. I did not recognize many of the actors in it, just Bernie mac, and tom Arnold. the latter was why I chose it. but tom Arnold has a small role in it, as the coach of a rival swim team. it is about the coach of a swimming team in Philadelphia in the 1970s. as usual, when 'based on a true story', I am used to them having a disclaimer saying 'some scenes and characters were invented for dramatic effect'. it does remind me of some other sports stories I had seen. closing credits said it was filmed in Louisiana.
    I did laundry around midday, and there was a man I liked listening to. he said he moved to Minnesota because of garrison Keillor. and he was willing to do any job that public radio had. but now he owns a resale shop, and spends plenty of time in Colorado as well. later on I went to the library to type some letters in response to birthday cards. I also picked up a few items at a nearby cub foods that I was unable to find at aldi. in the evening I watched 'the simpsons', about parents trying to live through the athletic accomplishments of their kids. then I watched the movie. I also did some research on upcoming movies. I said I had seen an email where there would be a baseball documentary, but I figured it would be part of the upcoming MSP film-fest. it took me a while, but I found it again: it is called 'screwball', and it will be shown before the festival begins, likely at the same venue. it was this week where the festival lineup was announced, so it was on my mind to look it up. also helped to see a postcard at the library advertising it. so I looked at the listings, over 260 films this year. the first 'short list' I created had 13 on it, then I cut it to 5 and finally 3. two of them are biographies, and the other is a Minnesota-themed documentary. two of them I can see on the same day. some years during the festival I see just one movie, maybe two. so it would be a big deal to see three this time. also, before I did laundry I did some more looking at baseball schedules. I kind of got a better idea of when to travel, or maybe when not to in order to avoid scheduling conflicts this summer. I also have to ask myself if I want to attend a football team convention in the summer, I saw an ad for it in my facebook news feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment